Ways to Incorporate Ayurvedic Benefits into Your Modern Diet

Ways to Incorporate Ayurvedic Benefits into Your Modern Diet

Incorporating Ayurvedic benefits into our modern diet is becoming increasingly popular as we become more aware of the impact our food choices have on our overall health and well-being. The post-pandemic period has seen an exponential growth in consumer consciousness in favor of a holistic lifestyle.

Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine that emphasizes the importance of balancing mind, body, and spirit to achieve optimal health. One of the key elements of Ayurveda is its ability to reform your diet with ancient holistic benefits, and it is essential to understand that there is no one size fits all approach to healthy eating.

Factors to consider before planning a diet:
Before planning a diet, several factors must be considered, such as the specific constitutional characteristics of an individual, the natural qualities of each food, how these qualities can be modified, the effects of combining foods, the amount of food ingested, individual differences in food intake, the climate in which food is grown, prepared, and eaten, the effects of seasons and time of day, and avoidance of artificial flavors , chemicals, preservatives and dyes.

Vegetarianism vs non-vegetarianism (the trending vegan diet)

One of the most debated topics in the world is the controversy between vegetarianism and non-vegetarianism. Initially, non-vegetarian diets were believed to be superior because they were high in protein and helped build strength and endurance. However, scientific evidence has established that vegetarian diets are more natural and beneficial to human nature. Non-vegetarian diets contain cholesterol and saturated fatty acids which are the cause of several diseases such as coronary heart problems, strokes (cerebrovascular accidents), eye disorders and high blood pressure. With only about 60% of its content useful to the human body, the rest, 40%, contains harmful toxins. In addition, such a diet is generally difficult for the stomach to digest, which can lead to lethargy, obesity, acidity and other gastrointestinal problems.

Benefits of vegetarianism

Vegetarian diets are high in dietary fiber, which reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease, intestinal tract cancer, hemorrhoids, obesity, diabetes, constipation, hiatal hernia, diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, dental caries and gallstones. In addition, many pathogenic organisms are transmitted by animal proteins and grow on them. Serious diseases such as encephalopathy and mad cow disease are caused by Bovine Spongiform. Similarly, Salmonella Typhimurium bacteria can be transmitted through eaten eggs, causing illnesses such as pneumonia, bronchitis and typhoid. Since the human body is not supposed to have such a high concentration of hydrochloric acid, it is reasonable to assume that the human body is basically meant for a vegetarian diet.

Understand the doshic constitution of the body

The doshic constitution, or Prakriti, is a fundamental concept in Ayurveda that refers to the unique physical, mental and emotional characteristics of an individual. According to Ayurveda, each individual is born with a specific balance of the three doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The doshas determine an individual’s physical and mental attributes, including body type, temperament, and susceptibility to certain diseases. Understanding one’s doshic constitution is essential in Ayurveda to determine the proper diet, lifestyle, and treatment strategies to maintain optimal health and prevent disease.

Plan a diet based on the doshic constitution

When planning a diet based on your doshic constitution, it is necessary to know which foods to eat and which to avoid.

For those who have a Vata constitution
the following fruits, dairy products, cereals and meat are recommended: apples, dates, figs (dried), pomegranate, raisins, pears, cheese, cow’s milk (powdered), yoghurt, barley, corn, cereals, granola, millet, tapioca, and turkey, rabbit, pork, and lamb.

For those with a Pitta constitution,
the following fruits, dairy products, cereals and meats are recommended: apples, avocados, grapes, lemons, bananas, sweet oranges, plums, figs (fresh), mangoes, milk (fresh, whole, non-homogenized dairy products), ghee, butter (small quantities), white meat (chicken, fish).

In conclusion, incorporating Ayurveda into your diet can help you achieve optimal health by balancing your mind, body, and spirit. When planning your diet, it is essential to consider several factors, such as your doshic constitution, the natural qualities of each food, and the avoidance of artificial flavors, chemicals, preservatives and colorings, or processed foods.

Contributions from Dr. Kriti Soni, R&D Manager, Kapiva

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *