A balanced diet is necessary for good gut health and to beat the heat during the summer months, it’s essential to select foods that are easy to digest and won’t weigh down your gut. Adequate hydration is also crucial, so be sure to drink plenty of water, especially in hot weather.
Health experts advise avoiding sugary or fatty foods, which can cause inflammation and put a strain on your digestive system. In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Country Delight co-founder and CEO Chakradhar Gade shared, “Many people are looking to change their lifestyle to include more physical activity, better eating habits, as well as switching to fresh dairy products without chemicals. some products. Such a diet includes the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables, natural dairy products, healthy fats, fiber and complex carbohydrates. This means making the right choices of food and kitchen essentials for better living, choosing natural, chemical-free, minimally processed and natural foods and ingredients like dals, whole grains, dried fruits, nuts, leafy vegetables and fruits is a wise move towards a transition to healthy living. way of life. It is very important to switch to healthier food options in order to have a healthy gut.
Bringing her expertise to the same, Naaznin Husein, National Executive Committee Member of IDA and former President of IDA Mumbai Chapter, revealed, “Switching to a balanced diet consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables without chemicals, good quality protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber, healthy fats and low-fat dairy products can help maintain a healthy gut, thus preventing digestive/intestinal and metabolic health issues. Green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli and kale are rich in dietary fiber as well as vitamins, minerals and iron. Eating plenty of leafy vegetables can make your intestinal system work better. If you have digestive issues, eating certain foods can help relieve symptoms. This includes fermented foods like kimchi and yogurt, idli, dosa, and fiber-rich foods like dark green vegetables, seeds, and whole grains. It is important that consumers seek out chemical-free foods for their daily consumption. It’s the market need of the hour for minimal chemically processed foods and more natural products that support a healthy lifestyle.
Dolly Kumar, Founder and Director of Gaia, has suggested some simple tips to help you stay cool and refreshed from within –
- Hydrating fruits: While drinking water is certainly the ideal way to stay hydrated, consuming the recommended amount can be difficult. However, foods with a high water content, such as watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, and grapes, are brilliant options. These fruits will keep you hydrated and relaxed during the hot summer months.
- Cool the vegetables: Although cold drinks and frozen desserts can both beat the heat and delight the taste buds, they have no health benefits. Vegetables like cucumber, celery, and lettuce are rich in water and provide a cooling effect on your body. You can add these vegetables to salads or make a refreshing smoothie to keep your gut relaxed.
- Foods rich in probiotics: Replace your soda with probiotic drinks and foods like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut or kombucha, which are not only tasty but also rich in probiotics. They contain beneficial bacteria that promote gut health. These foods help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut, which can help reduce digestive issues.
- Lean proteins: High-protein foods like grilled chicken, fish, and eggs can help keep you full and satiated, which can prevent overeating and digestive discomfort. Opt for lean proteins to avoid excess fat, which can slow digestion.
- Herbal teas: Herbal teas like peppermint tea, chamomile tea, and ginger tea can help soothe your gut and reduce digestive discomfort. These teas have anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties that can help keep your gut calm and relaxed during the harsh summer months.
Emphasizing that dried fruits are a great source of nutrients and can also help keep your gut relaxed during the harsh summer months, Shreya Dheeraj Jain, co-founder of Nutrilitius, recommended some dried fruits that you can include in your diet. feed –
- Almonds: Almonds are a rich source of fiber and healthy fats that can help keep your gut healthy. They also contain vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that can reduce inflammation in the gut.
- Appointment: Dates are high in fiber and can help regulate digestion. They also contain potassium, which can help balance electrolytes in the body.
- Figs: Figs are high in fiber and can help keep the gut healthy. They also contain prebiotics, which may promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Pistachios: Pistachios are a good source of fiber and healthy fats that can help keep your gut healthy. They also contain antioxidants that can reduce inflammation in the gut.
According to her, these nutraceuticals can help keep your gut relaxed during the harsh summer months –
- Probiotics: Probiotics are live bacteria that can help maintain healthy gut flora. They can help reduce inflammation and improve digestion. Foods rich in probiotics include yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, and kombucha.
- Prebiotics: Prebiotics are indigestible fibers that promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria. Foods rich in prebiotics include garlic, onions, leeks, asparagus, bananas and oats.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties. It can help reduce inflammation in the gut and improve digestion. You can add turmeric to your meals or drink turmeric tea.